If 2020 was the year that flipped the world on its head, 2021 was the year that we got used to seeing things upside down. With “normal” thrown out the window, we embraced the unknown and championed all of the things that make each of us unique. Spotify’s 2021 Wrapped is a celebration of this — the millions of weird and wonderful ways to listen and live in a world that continues to keep us on our toes.
Spotify is today unveiling its annual 2021 Wrapped campaign and personalized user experience inspired by just that. At the same time, we’re unveiling the top artists, albums, songs, playlists and podcasts from the creators that helped soundtrack the year for more than 381 million users worldwide.
So, how did the world listen this year? Here’s what Spotify saw:
- Top Global Artists: With more than 9.1 billion streams this year, Puerto Rican rapper Bad Bunny is our most-streamed artist of 2021. Check out Bad Bunny’s reaction when he first learned the news HERE. The second most-streamed artist – and most streamed female artist of the year – is Taylor Swift (#2), followed by BTS (#3), Drake (#4) and Justin Bieber (#5).
- Top Global Songs: The most-streamed song of 2021 is Olivia Rodrigo’s “drivers license” with more than 1.1 billion streams this year. In the second and third spots respectively, are Lil Nas X’s “MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name)” (#2) and “STAY (with Justin Bieber)” by The Kid LAROI (#3). The fourth most-streamed song of the year is another one from Olivia Rodrigo with “good 4 u” (#4), followed by “Levitating (feat. DaBaby)” by Dua Lipa (#5).
- Top Global Albums: The most-streamed album globally of 2021 is Olivia Rodrigo’s SOUR, followed by Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia(#2)and Justin Bieber’s Justice (#3).Rounding out the list of top albums are Ed Sheeran’s “=” (#4) and Doja Cat’s Planet Her (#5).
- Most Popular Podcast Shows: The Joe Rogan Experience takes the number one slot for most popular podcast of the year globally. Coming in second and third are Call Her Daddy(#2)and Crime Junkie (#3). The fourth most popular podcast is TED Talks Daily (#4), followed by The Daily (#5).
For even more on how the world listened in 2021, check out Spotify’s For the Record blog.
Starting today, eligible users can also access their personalized Wrapped experience exclusively in the Spotify mobile app (iOS and Android).
This year’s personalized experience is full of familiar favorites, mixed with surprising new ones that connect fans with each other and creators. Here are a few new features to look out for:
- New data stories to express your year in audio – In addition to your top artists, genres, songs, podcasts and minutes listened, the personalized Wrapped experience includes several all new features, including: 2021: The Movie, Your Audio Aura, Playing Cards and 2021 Wrapped: Blend. Check out Spotify For the Record for all the details on these new features.
- Even more shareability – We know that Spotify fans love to share their Wrapped cards on social channels like Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook; and now, they can share their Wrapped cards directly to TikTok.
- Exclusive experiences for top fans – Plus, we’re adding a special surprise: Videos from more than 170 artists and creators thanking fans for having them in their Wrapped. These thank you videos will appear if fans have a song by one of the participating artists in their “Your Top Songs 2021” or “Your Artists Revealed” playlists. Additionally, for the very first time, we’ll be rolling out Spotify Clips for Podcasts and fans will be able to view special thank you messages from some of their favorite podcast hosts by visiting a participating show’s page on Spotify.
Spotify has also rolled out its Wrapped creator experience for podcasters and artists. With access to their own individualized Wrapped microsite experience, creators can dive into all the ways in which their fans listened this year. Check out Spotify for Artists and Spotify for Podcasters to learn more
Additionally, Spotify Greenroom will help celebrate the year in music with special Wrapped editions of our live playlist shows, “Most Necessary Live” and “LOREM Life.” Hosts Brian “B.Dot Miller” and Max Motley and Dev Lemons will host live conversations open to anyone who wants to talk about the music they loved in 2021 and what they listened to the most on Spotify this year.