Nick Martin has been soundtracking your club experiences for two decades. Having DJed along superstars including The Chainsmokers, David Guetta, Alesso, Avicii, Axwell ^ Ingrosso and Hardwell, the Greek music-maker has spun his high-octane brand of beats in the finest clubs across the globe.
Emerging on the scene as a turntablist, Nick spent the early days of his career DJing on vinyl, lugging crates of white label promos before finally making the switch to USBs in 2011. Shortly after, Nick began producing music and released his first original work in 2013. In 2014 he got his first international DJ gig at Marquee Las Vegas, while in 2015, he released his first international hit “Red Lion” via Sander van Doorn’s acclaimed Doorn Records. Most recently, Martin teamed up with Australian producer Tigerlily on “Skyline”which has received support from artists such as Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Benny Benassi and Galantis.
2017 is the year the Nick Martin takes it up in gear. He recently signed with Armada Music – home to Armin van Buuren and many more of the world’s elite dance music talent. We’ve recently had the chance to chat a little bit with Nick Martin, so if you want to know more about him, check out our exclusive interview below!
1. Hello, Nick. How have you been lately?
Really well, thank you. This has been a great summer so far and we are just getting started!
2. So, let’s begin. How did it all start for you? Was dance music always one of your passions?
Music has always been my passion. I started as a DJ in Greece, I would play in clubs and lounges, that’s where I built my base and how I learned and perfected my craft of djing. From there I started producing, step by step I learned and got better over time. I love the challenge and am always learning and growing.
3. What are some of your inspirations as an artist, who do you look up to?
So many different artists, it is hard to list all. I love everything from Daft Punk to the Rolling Stones. I listen to music constantly and there is so much music that inspires me. Listening to other people’s music helps me to grow as Producer, you’re never done learning.
4. Right now, what do you think is the one thing that distinguishes you from other producers?
I think my background gives me a different take on music. As a teenager, I used to play drums and was more in to rock music. At a later age, I came in to contact with House music, and before I knew it I was hooked on electronic dance music. It didn’t take long before I started DJing and soon after that I began with music production.
I try to produce what I play but also produce what I feel. I’m inspired by music and always want to be inspired when I’m in the studio. My music inspires me and hopefully people agree 🙂
5. You’ve recently released a brand new single on The Bearded Man, „I’m Ready”. Can you tell us what was the inspiration behind this track and how long have you been working on it?
I worked on this song for about 6 months. I played a rough mix of it one time during The Chainsmokers tour and the crowd went nuts. As soon as the tour ended I went in my studio and focused on finishing “I’m Ready”.
6. What does this record say about your evolution as an artist?
I want people to dance and sing and feel the power of the production. This song is another step in the right direction of where I am going musically.
7. We’ve seen that you joined The Chainsmokers on their European tour. How was it working with the guys?
That tour was amazing. It was just The Chainsmokers and me. Every show was sold out and every night was a different city, different crowd and different experience. The highs came every night, the low was the day after the last show. I can’t wait for my upcoming tour with them. They are great guys and great live.
8. In your opinion, what would you say the most exciting aspect of today’s dance music scene is?
I would say the variety is the most exciting part. There are so many types of dance music from around the globe.
9. When you aren’t performing or making a new track, what do you like to do to unwind?
Being Greek and living in Greece you grow up around water, boats and fishing. I love boats and fishing. That is where I relax and find some quite time to think. In Greece, food is a huge part of the culture and there is so much food unique to Greece. I am a proud Greek.
10. What else do you have in store for the following months? Anything exciting you would like to share with our readers?
I am touring a lot this year, doing festivals and have more dates with The Chainsmokers.
11. We have one final question for you. If you could eat one thing and one thing only for the rest of your life, what would that be?