Dave Winnel has been making waves in the dance music scene for quite a while. Until now, the Sydney producer has done remixes for some of the biggest artists in world, such as Clean Bandit, Hardwell, Axwell /\ Ingrosso, Armin van Buuren and more, plus he’s had feats on a wide array of internationally acclaimed record labels such as Axtone, Def Jam, Big Beat, Warner Music, Revealed Recordings, and Armada Music.
Last month, he dropped a great single on Armada with Alex Preston and Javeon, which has become pretty successful ever since being released, but Dave has many huge things in store for the following months, so that is why you should definitely keep your eye on him. Recently, we’ve had the chance to chat with him a little and below you can take a look at our exclusive interview!
1) Hello, Dave. How have you been lately?
Been flat out like a lizard drinking. I’m moving over to Amsterdam for the summer so I’ve been busy organising that and packing up my life in Sydney.
2) First of all, tell us. How did you get involved in producing electronic music?
I started out DJing first. That came about with I was 13. From there, I was always curious how the artists made the sounds in the records I was buying, so I experimented with producing. I got more serious into producing when I turned 18 and started DJing in clubs. I wanted to make remixes of popular songs to play in my sets.
3) When you were first starting out, who were your biggest influences?
Tiesto. Back when he was the KING of trance doing those massive arena concerts (DVDs) around 2004.
4) Do you have a favorite moment you’ve experienced since becoming a DJ/producer?
Joining Armin Van Buuren on stage at AMF in 2016. Totally surreal moment.
5) In your opinion, what is one of the most difficult things when it comes to producing music?
Coming up with something that is unique and fresh: but also that is my sound, but also that is relevant and current. It’s quite a challenge.
6) You’ve recently released a track in collaboration with Alex Preston and Javeon. How did this collaboration came to be?
Alex & I are great mates. He’s such a legend, we’re both doing the Future House/House type vibes and we always said we NEED to do a track together because we both live in Sydney. He had an amazing vocal from Javeon lying around so we started from there.
7) Where would you like to see yourself in the next 2 or 3 years?
As an extra in one of the new Star Wars films.
8) Seeing as festival season has officially started, where are we going to see you perform in the coming months?
On my way over to Amsterdam I’ll be playing at Seaside Sounds Festival in Darwin, Skygarden in Bali, and then my first gig in The Netherlands for the year is in Tilburg for ‘Future House Music’ on Tour.
9) What else is coming up for you in the following months?
Lots of new music. Releases on Armada, Axtone. Will also do some new ‘In The Studio’ type videos.